Saturday, November 17, 2007

Peace

I heard tonight the first Christmas song I've heard yet this season. Luckily, not being a big fan of Christmas music, it was my favorite, John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Happy Xmas (War is Over).

I remember the first time I heard this song. I was young and I had no real idea of who John Lennon was or even The Beatles really. My father was driving us home from the YMCA, just he and I and there was a sense of peace and calmness in the car.

As I listened to the refrain, the children singing war is over if you want it, I believed.

I believed the children and the man singing and I believed this man could end all wars if we all wanted it enough. I though peace could be as simple as that. I couldn't fathom then and I still forget now that there are people in this world who clamor for war.

No comments: