Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Truly D'oh! Moment

I'm one of those young women you see crocheting on the train, the subway, the passenger seat of my boyfriends car, in the waiting room at the mechanics, just about anywhere I can get away with it. So of course, I was busily hooking it on the metro today, hooking as in crocheting, not the other hooking, when a man sitting next to me just could not stop coughing. As I was envisioning his cough germs invading my air space and being inhaled into my lungs, he suddenly took a break from coughing to remark that he'd never seen anyone knitting on the Metro before. I didn't correct him, I smiled politely and said, Oh I do it all the time, it's a nice way to pass the time. Then directly put my eyes back on my project hoping he wouldn't talk to me again. But he did. He asked if I made the hat I was wearing and I replied that I had and he said it looked very nice. I replied with a polite smile and a thank you and directly put my eyes back on my project and he continued with his coughing attack and reading his book. As I reflected on this exchange it occured to me that such an instance was the reason I had just printed out a hundred business cards and stored them in my new business card holder from www.sweetheartsinner.etsy.com and that I had just let an opportunity to promote my shop to a complete stranger slip through my fingers! D'oh!


5 comments:

GreenSpaceGoods said...

I've had these moments too. A sales lady stopped me to ask about my pendant. I told her thank you and that I made it. Then I just drew a blank. I smiled and then walked away. I thought about going back to give her a card, but I was so embarrassed that I didn't. *sigh*

heather said...

Haven't we all been here? I made a bunch of business cards to carry around months ago and I still haven't put them in my bag. And I keep handwriting my web address out for people when I'm out and about. Note to self: put business cards in bag tonight!

Dylan said...

I always feel like a whore when I give out business cards. of course if it increases business who cares.

I haven't made a card for my creatures yet but I have one for clowning, real estate and HOA management. After typing that I think that I need to find a job that allows me to just have one card.

Oh well.

Shannon said...

don't worry darlin', we all have had those moments. It comes with the territory of being alone with your art, and being interrupted. Don't worry about it... just reply next time with a business card and go back to your art.

Maureen said...

Oh, well, live and learn. Sounds like he needed some knit goodies to help stop him from being sick.